Text Replacement in SuccessFactors Employee Central to replace Standard words, labels, and tabs
Sometimes the standard UI Text provided for various words, labels, and tabs within the SuccessFactors Application may not be accurate as Business needs, business practices and culture or when a Client wants a different text in a way which suits their Organization jargon there comes the need to change the existing text to their desired ones’ which suits according to their Organization known words for the various elements in Success Factors.
We can do this in two ways to Replace the Standard Text.
- Through Text Replacement tool:
Suppose we would like to give a different text to the commonly used Notes section in Employee Profile. The Standard Text for this is ‘Notes’ and we can change it to our desired text.
Go to: Admin Tools > Company Settings > Text Replacement > review the list of available options.
Find the word we would like to replace with and give the word we would like to change and save.
Few points to consider:
1.Note many options will only change the text in a specific form or tab and may not change the word globally.
2.All options to the languages installed in the instance can be localized. Use Select Language to switch to other languages.
3.Setting a text replacement in one language will not set it for any other language.
5.Manually provide text replacements for all words and phrases in all languages.
6.The Default Text shows the current system default, which may be a word, phrase or $variable. If it is a variable, the $variable can also be included in the Replace with Text so that while the sentence is customized it also still uses the default value.
7.For example: In the goal text option “To add a new $(objective), move the cursor over the $(objective) section until the Insert ” the variable $(objective) is referring to the term used– either “Goal” or “Objective”. The entire sentence can be changed and still include this variable. Of course, plain text can be used in this example too.
8.Many words have plural and singular along with lower case and uppercase examples, so need to provide replacement texts for all variations.
9.There is a limitation of 256 characters. Anything above that will not get saved.
Suppose if we like to change a label in a specific locale that is not available in Text Replacement functionality, then we can use the functionality Manage Languages tool
Admin Center > Manage Languages
The Manage Languages page allows you to activate and deactivate locales, create locales that you can upload custom label values to, and download both custom and default label values.
These are the steps to utilize this feature:
Enable “Language Packs” option should be enabled for the instance in Provisioning;
Still in provisioning make sure the option “Enable Manage Languages tool” is enabled.
“Text Replacement” permission should be granted to the user’s Permission Group in RBP settings;
Go through Admin Center > Manage Permission Role > Administrator Permissions > Manage System Properties > Text Replacement.
- Now look for the look for the Languages enabled for the client marked in tick as below.:
- Create a Sub Folder from main Language folder
We can see the new folder created under main Language folder
- We need to download the CSV file of the original language pack that has all the default application UI labels. To download, click on the three dots for actions and select Download default labels.
- From the entire list, we will need to select only those tokens and specific language for which we wish to replace the text/label with. Save the file in CSV format.
- Upload the file with only the tokens we wish to change.
- Once the upload is successful we need to select the language from settings for which we have replaced the text.
When we check to see the label we have replaced, it has changed with text replaced and uploaded through the file.
- Value replacement limit: You can overwrite up to 10,000 values per locale using Manage Languages. The default replacement limit is set to 100 values, which you can manually increase up to 10,000 using the Update option at the bottom of the page.
- Custom language pack CSV file size limit: The CSV file size limit is 10 MB. If you try uploading a file, which is anything more than 10MB, the system will time out and the file will not be uploaded.
- Text substitution syntax: You need the text substitution syntax to replace a word throughout the system. Otherwise, each string that includes the string will need to be replaced through Manage Languages.
- Changing labels does not update the language phrasing used within our Mobile Application at this time.
This is how using the standard tools ‘Text Replacement’ and ‘Manage Language’ we can easily replace text, labels and tabs according to the needs of the business.